Below are links to blog reviews, publications, reports and scientific articles written during my PhD at Wageningen University (the Netherlands). They also include publications from work experiences as: Global Lead for WWF Cities (WWF Sweden); writer/ editor for IISD Reporting Services reporting on UN and international environmental meetings; the City of Malmö Environment Department (Sweden); and UN-Habitat (Nairobi, Kenya). All publications focus on sustainable urban development, climate change, urban and energy planning. In all publications I am either the first or contributing author; so please be in touch if you would like a copy.
Blog reviews & media coverage:
- 2019: It’s down to cities to limit global warming to 1.5°C by 2030 (World Economic Forum blog)
- 2018: Cities must move to fossil-free and car-free for a healthy future (WWF Climate and Energy Blog, May 2018)
- 2018: Cities, Climate Science and Collaborations to achieve a 1.5°C Global Warming Target (WWF Climate and Energy Blog, March, 2018)
- 2018: Summary of the Cities and Climate Change Science Conference (IISD Reporting Services)
- 2017: Cities and climate – what’s the connection? (WWF Climate and Energy Blog, November 2017)
- 2016: Cities unveil time frame for ‘localizing’ climate finance: at the recent COP 22 talks, local authorities said they want a framework for accessing international climate-related funding by 2020. (Citiscope, November 2016)
- 2016: The Role of Cities in Climate Action at COP22, featured on Facebook Live and linked to WWF International Facebook Page (14 November 2016, during UNFCCC COP22)
- 2016: Statements included in a series of Citiscope articles entitled, “Question of the Day. Towards Habitat III: World Cities at a Crossroads” that included the commentary of 25 city experts from around the globe, on:
- What is the most transformational idea in the New Urban Agenda?
- How do you hope the world’s cities will have changed in two decades?
- What are the biggest obstacles to implementing the New Urban Agenda?
- What key issue is missing from the New Urban Agenda?
- How and when will we know if Habitat III was a success?
2016: Framtiden finns på lokal nivå: Städer allt viktigare i hållbarhetsarbetet (The future is found at the local level: cities are ever more important for sustainability) in the Swedish cities and architectural journal Hållbar Stad (December 2017)
- 2016: Compromiso y activismo, la clave para lograr ciudades sostenibles (Commitment and activism, the key to achieving sustainable cities) in the Colombian News Paper, El Tiempo, based on a presentation at the Low Carbon Cities Forum in Medellín, Colombia (in October 2016).
- 2016: Invited as an “urban blogger” to the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) Urban Journalism Academy in Bogotá, Colombia (in October 2016) and consequent coverage of the event by IISD Reporting Services.
- 2016: From Paris to New York: how cities show the potential for ambitious climate action (posted in the WWF Climate & Energy Blog)
- 2015: Photos used for 2015 United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change Adaptation Calendar, themed: Building Climate Resilience in Urban Areas (months of April & December)
- 2014: Blog featured on video, Guardian Cities: The ‘moped menace’ in Amsterdam
- 2014: Blog feature in The Guardian: The urbanist’s guide to Amsterdam
- 2014: Blog cited in the West Central Tribune, Going Dutch: Bicycling Lessons to consider from area’s other ‘Old Country’
- 2014: Guardian Cities: The best city blogs around the world – an interactive guide (serving as the Amsterdam blogger)
- 2013: Featured on the NGO Sustainable Seattle’s website: Sustainable Cities Around the World: The Urban Observer
Academic publications, focus on urban sustainability/ urban climate change strategies:
- 2015: PhD Dissertation, entitled Urban Climate Governance: The Role of Local Authorities (defended July 2015, at Wageningen University)
- 2018: Exponential Climate Action Roadmap (Presented at the Global Climate Action Summit, September 2019 – contributing author. Publication led by Future Earth, with organisations including WWF)
- 2018: Is urban agriculture urban green space? A comparison of policy arrangements for urban green space and urban agriculture in Santiago de Chile (Journal of Land Use Policy, February 2018).
- 2017: Creating Low Carbon Cities (contributing author in publication)
- 2016: Revealing Curitiba’s flawed sustainability: How discourse can prevent institutional change (Habitat International, 2016)
- 2016: Re-using resources in cities: a Dutch case- study (in: Science for Environment Policy, published by the European Commission’s Environment Directorate-General)
- 2016: Revealing Curitiba’s flawed sustainability: How discourse can prevent institutional change. (in: Habitat International)
- 2015: Eco-districts: Can they accelerate urban climate planning? (in: Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy)
- 2015: New Roles for Local Authorities in a Time of Climate Change: the Rotterdam Energy Approach and Planning as a case of urban symbiosis (in: The Journal of Cleaner Production)
- 2015: Summary of the International Conference on Climate Action: Local Governments Driving Transformation (Published online by IISD RS)
- 2014: Cities & the climate crisis – part of the problem, and the solution (online: Eldis/ Institute of Development Studies)
- 2014: Cities as learning organisations in climate policy: the case of Malmö (in: International Journal of Urban Sustainable Development)
- 2014: Governing climate change in Dutch cities: anchoring local climate strategies in organisation, policy and practical implementation (in: Local Environment: The International Journal of Justice and Sustainability)
- 2014: Summary of the 7th World Urban Forum held in in Medellín, Colombia with support from UN-Habitat. (Published online by IISD RS)
- 2013: The Western Harbour – experiences and lessons learned (Contributing author to an anthology describing first 10 years of Malmö’s Western Harbour development; published by Arkus Publications. Not available in PDF.)
- 2009: Combining climate change adaptation and mitigation measures at the local level (in: Habitat International)
- 2009: Ekostaden Augustenborg, Malmö (application submitted to the World Habitat Award. Malmö won in 2010.)
- 2009: Malmö, sustainable on many accounts (application for Habitat Scroll of Honour Award. Malmö won in 2009.)
- 2008: Empowering social networks to localize climate strategies in impoverished urban communities: examining the basic urban services strategy in Embu, Kenya, presented at the World Bank’s Fifth Urban Research Symposium on Cities and Climate Change: Responding to an Urgent Agenda, in Marseille, France (2009) in the session on Social Dimensions of Climate Change in Cities: Strategies to Reduce Vulnerability of Urban Poor.
- 2007: Masters Thesis, entitled Examining barriers and opportunities to sustainable behavior: Linking knowledge and participation amongst young persons in urban environments (graduated June 2007 in a Erasmus Mundus joint-MSc programme, “Master of Environmental Science, Policy and Management” or MESPOM, linking several European universities, including Lund University in Sweden and Central European University in Budapest, Hungary)
Videos & Presentations
- 2016: Erasmus Mundus Association (EMA) General Assembly “Forum of Inspiration” at the 10 year anniversary celebration (November 2016 in Lugano, Switzerland)
- 2016: The Role of Cities in Climate Action at COP22, featured on Facebook Live & linked to WWF International Facebook Page (14 November 2016, at UNFCCC COP22)
- 2015: video clip for an online lecture entitled, “Greening the Economy: Lessons from Scandinavia” at Lund University, Sweden.
- 2013: Profile contribution in “Alumni Voices” on the (Master of Environmental Science, Policy and Management) MESPOM website.
- 2011: video clip, contributing to “Alumni Voices” for Lund University’s International Institute for Industrial Environmental Economics.
- 2009: invited as the alumni speaker at the 2009/2010 Central European University Opening Ceremony in Budapest, Hungary, video clip of speech.
- 2007: MESPOM Graduation Speech in Budapest, Hungary.
- 2005: video from the 2005 World Youth Congress in Stirling, Scotland.
IISD Reporting Services, coverage at various multilateral environmental agreements and UN environmental fora:
- San Jose, Costa Rica: 2nd meeting of Signatories (Sharks MOS2) to the Memorandum of Understanding on the Conservation of Migratory Sharks (Sharks MOU)
- Geneva, Switzerland: 37th meeting of the Open-ended Working Group (OEWG37) of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer
- Bangkok, Thailand: Workshop on Hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) Management and 35th meeting of the Open-ended Working Group (OEWG35) of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer
- Geneva, Switzerland: Meetings of the Conferences of the Parties to the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions
- Punta del Este, Uruguay: 12th Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands
- Hannover, Germany: International Conference on Climate Action: Local Governments Driving Transformation
- Trondheim, Norway: 2nd Meeting of Signatories to the Raptors MOU (MOS2) of the Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals (CMS)
- Ankara, Turkey: 12th Session of the Conference of the Parties to the UN Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD COP12)
- Dubai, UAE: Resumed Session of the 36th Meeting of the Open-ended Working Group (36OEWG) of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer and 27th Meeting of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol (MOP27)
- Paris, France: Coverage of the Rio Conventions Pavilion at the Paris Climate Change Conference (UNFCCC COP21)
- Abu Dhabi, UAE: Fourth session of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) Assembly, World Future Energy Summit
- Medellín, Colombia: Seventh Session of the World Urban Forum (WUF7): “Urban Equity in Development – Cities for Life”
- Den Haag, NL: Global Oceans Action Summit for Food Security and Blue Growth
- Nairobi, Kenya: Coverage of Selected Side Events at the First UN Environment Assembly (UNEA) of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP)
- Paris, France: Workshop on HFC Management and 34th meeting of the Open-ended Working Group (OEWG34) of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer
- Bonn, Germany: First meeting of the Plenary of the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES)
- Bali, Indonesia: Seventh Regional Environmentally Sustainable Transport Forum in Asia & Global Consultation on Sustainable Transport in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- Geneva, Switzerland: 74th Session of the UN Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) Committee on Housing and Land Management and its Ministerial Meeting
- Warsaw, Poland: Side Events Coverage at the Warsaw Climate Change Conference (UNFCCC COP19)
- Warsaw, Poland: Transport Day at UNFCCC COP19